I am married to Judy with two children, both married, and two granddaughters. I was born on a Cumbrian farm then trained as an electrical engineer. We’ve lived in Knutsford for nearly 30 years and our children have gone to school in Knutsford and Northwich. I am the Chair of two charities which work in South Africa to bring about individual and community change through sport. I am also on the board of Mission Aviation Fellowship which transports aid to remote and troubled areas by flying 130 light aircraft.
Why do I want to be involved?
I am pleased to find an opportunity to give something back to communities and a region which has given so much to us as a family. I believe in the power of sport as a means of developing individuals and transforming communities and want to see the participation increase across all ages and backgrounds. Experience at a senior level in business has developed my commercial, strategic and management skills all of which will be necessary as the organisation goes through this formative period. I also bring many years’ experience of operating at board level in businesses and charitable organisations.
At a Glance
- Favourite Sport – Football (Liverpool FC)
- Desert Island Discs – American Pie (Don McLean), Diamonds on the Soles of her Shoes (Paul Simon), Hallelujah Chorus (Handel), Songbird (Eva Cassidy)
- Last Book Read – Survivor on the River Kwai
- Last Film Seen – Les Misérables
- Favourite Quote – “If you think you are too small to make a difference you have never been to bed with a mosquito”
- Ideal dinner party: Nelson Mandela For his determination to look forward not back, Shirley Williams For her wisdom and honesty, Sebastian Coe For his leadership of the 2012 Olympics