Let’s get cooking Cheshire East! With everything that’s going on, let’s not forget to keep looking after ourselves, staying healthy and keeping as active as we can! Our health team will be sharing regular healthy recipes for you to make and enjoy, all as we ask is you don’t forget to share your food pics with us on social media Twitter and Instagram: @EBLeisure and Facebook: @EverybodySportRecreation.
Sweet and Sour Chicken
A tasty and easy sauce to make. Packed with protein and vitamins too!
PREP TIME: 20 mins
COOKING TIME: 30 mins
SERVES: 4 portions
• 150g easy cook white or brown rice
• 227g pineapple pieces in natural juice
• 1 tbsp cornflour
• 2 tsp tomato puree
• 1 tsp reduced salt soy sauce
• 2 tsp vegetable oil
• 300g skinless uncooked chicken (thigh or breast) cut into chunks
• 1 medium onion thinly sliced
• 2 large carrots, chopped
• 1 peppers, any colour de-seeded and cut into chunks
• 3 celery sticks sliced
• 2 tomatoes sliced into wedges
• 1 pinch ground black pepper
1. Put the brown rice on to cook in plenty of boiling water for 30 minutes, or until tender. If using white rice, remember it needs to cook for just 12 minutes (or follow instructions on packet)
2. Meanwhile, drain the juice from the pineapple into a small bowl or jug. Cut the pineapple rings into chunks. Add the cornflour to the juice and stir until smooth, then mix in the tomato puree and soy sauce. Set to one side.
3. 10 minutes before the rice is cooked, heat the oil in a wok or very large frying pan. Add the chicken and stir-fry over a high heat for 3-4 minutes.
4. Add the onion, pepper, carrots and celery to the wok or frying pan. Stir-fry for another 3-4 minutes, then add the tomato wedges and pineapple.
5. Stir the pineapple juice mixture, then add it to the wok, stirring until hot and thickened, ensure the chicken is cooked. Season with pepper, then serve with the drained rice.
You can always stir fry vegetables instead of chicken or try this with pork.
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION PER PORTION*
*All nutritional information is approximate