Here’s a sneaky peak in to what you can make on one of our healthy Taste for Life Cookery Courses. Thank you to our Re-Shape member for sharing their mouth watering picture of their homemade, healthy, Chicken Fajitas below.
Chicken fajitas are fun to make with all the family. This tasty Mexican dish is packed with protein and vitamins and low in saturated fat and salt, making it a great healthy option to a takeaway.
Don’t forget to share your food pictures with us 🙂 email: firstname.lastname@example.org, you can tweet us @EBLeisure, tag us in on Facebook @EverybodySportRecreation or Instagram @EBLeisure. Enjoy!
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
Ingredients- Chicken Fajitas
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red pepper, cored, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 1 yellow pepper, cored, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 450g/1lb chicken breasts, skinned and cut into thin strips
- pinch paprika
- pinch mild chilli powder
- pinch cumin
- pinch dried oregano
- 4 soft wholemeal tortillas
- ½ iceberg lettuce, finely shredded
- Heat the oil in a wok or large non-stick frying pan, add the onion and peppers and stir-fry for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the chicken, paprika, chilli powder, cumin and oregano and cook for 5 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Warm the tortillas in the microwave for 1 – 2 minutes or briefly under the grill or wrap in foil and place for 5 minutes in a preheated oven gas mark 4/180ºC /160 ºC fan for 5 minutes.
- Spoon one-quarter of the chicken mixture into the centre of each tortilla, add a couple of tablespoons of salsa and some shredded lettuce. Roll up and serve warm with guacamole and Greek yoghurt and cayenne dip (see Fajita dips for these recipes)
Some tasty dips to spice up and add extra flavour to your yummy chicken fajitas. They are easy to make and are full of nutrients, helping towards your 5 a day!
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cooking Time: 0 mins
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 425g cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Large handful of fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
Method- Tomato salsa
- Combine the onion, tomatoes, garlic and coriander in a bowl.
- Season with freshly ground black pepper.
- Cover and chill for 30 minutes.
Papaya and Passion fruit salsa
- 1 papaya, peeled, deseeded & diced
- 1 red chilli finely chopped and deseeded
- ½ – 1 of a lime, juice
- 1 passion fruit, halved, seeds removed
- Few fresh mint leaves, shredded
Method- Papaya and Passion fruit salsa
- Combine all the ingredients together
- Cover and chill for 30 minutes
- Avocado, halved, stone removed
- Lime juice
- 1 Chilli, halved, deseeded and finely chopped
- A cherry tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- A few coriander leaves, finely chopped
- Cut the avocado in half working round the stone
- Use a dessertspoon to scoop out the stone and then the flesh
- Mash the flesh with the juice
- Add all the other ingredients
Yoghurt & Cayenne
- 4 dessertspoons Greek yoghurt
- Sprinkling cayenne pepper
- Sprinkle cayenne over the top of the yoghurt