For Immediate Release
Everybody Awards 2015: Winners Announced
On 9th October 2015 the Everybody Awards were held at Wrenbury Hall, Nr Nantwich, Cheshire where inspiring volunteers, sporting clubs, and individuals from the region gathered to be recognised for their achievements and helping change lives through healthy recreation.
The prestigious awards night welcomed over 200 guests including nominees and was hosted by local radio presenter Charlie Bushnell.
After an uplifting opening speech from Everybody Leisure CEO, Peter Hartwell and entertainment from musical powerhouse Tom Seals, the nominees and winners were announced. Representatives from Headline Sponsor Applewood Independent and event partners and award sponsors including Matrix Fitness, FLM Training, Active Cheshire, Premier Sport and School Games Organisers along with the Mayor of Cheshire East Hilda Gaddum welcomed all nominees and winners on stage to be presented with their trophies and certificates.
Olivia Cork took to the stage with an inspiring key note speech of surviving cancer and going on to be a nationally competing Para-swimmer with Alsager’s Bridgestone Swimming Club and an ambassador for the Teenage Cancer Trust. So motivating was her account that it ended with a standing ovation and she was presented with the first Customer Hero Award by Everybody Sport and Recreation.
Peter Hartwell, CEO at Everybody commented, ‘This year the Everybody Awards was bigger than ever. We welcomed more nominations, widened the categories and were able to host over 200 people in our new venue of Wrenbury Hall.
The night was filled with inspiring stories and really showcased the sporting and community heroes that we have in Cheshire East. We are happy to announce nominations are now open for 2016 and are excited for what next year will bring.’
Shortlist and Winner announcements:
Sports Personality of the Year
Sponsored by Applewood Independent (Headline Sponsors)
An Everybody Athlete Performance Academy member who has competed at a local, regional or national level within a sport or sports.
- Ewen MacRury (Knutsford Tri Club)
- Tom Warren (Crewe Rifle and Pistol Club)
- Lisa James (Athletics, Sale Harriers)
- Daniel Budden (Pwllheli Sailing Club)
- India and Georgie Perris-Redding (Crewe and Nantwich RUFC)
WINNER: Daniel Budden
Health & Wellbeing Award
Sponsored by Active Cheshire (Event Partners)
This award is open to all organisations that promote sport or health & wellbeing to employees and/or the wider community. These include health organisations, education providers, social enterprises, voluntary, public and private sector organisations.
- Musical Moments
- Bromley Farm Wellbeing Hub
- S:Park CLC
- Helen Spencer (Group Fitness Instructor Nantwich & Shavington)
Winner: Bromley Farm Wellbeing Hub
Sponsored by Matrix Fitness UK (Event Partners)
To recognise a person, club or association that has made an outstanding and exceptional contribution to sport or health & wellbeing in some way such as length of service or demonstration of exceptional dedication and commitment to a particular sport or project.
Winner: Vera Parker (Nantwich Swimming Pool)
Club of the Year
Sponsored by Thomas International
A community club with Clubmark (or equivalent) that has excelled over the last 12 months in particular, whether that is through gaining Clubmark, success with performance, community health and wellbeing initiatives or building a new facility.
- AFC Alsager
- Matrix Cheer Squad
- Satellites of Macclesfield Swimming Club
- Crewe Central Table Tennis Club
- Poynton Lacrosse Club
- Lindow Cricket Club (Wilmslow)
Winner: AFC Alsager
Coach of the Year
Sponsored by FLM Training
A coach that has shown commitment to a wide range of individuals over the past 12 months, whether that is at the elite or grass roots level
- Mark Russell (Team Chongi Academy, Crewe)
- Farouk Graba (Crewe Flyers)
- Andrew Brooks (Crewe Rifle and Pistol Club)
- Julian Gilding (Rugby Coach in Crewe & Nantwich)
- Kevin Bradbury(Macclesfield Boys Boxing Club)
Winner: Mark Russell
Volunteer of the Year
Sponsored by Xn Leisure
A volunteer that has shown a high level of commitment, particularly over the last 12 months, within a sport, health or wellbeing setting setting.
- Robert Dutton (Seahorse Swimming Club)
- Maureen Edmeades (Crewe Flyers)
- Claire Jesson (Cheshire Netball League)
- Dennis Artess (Crewe Central Table Tennis Club)
- Laura Hughes (Cheshire Gymnastics)
- Jean Hicks (U3a Shavington & Crewe)
Winner: Robert Dutton
Young Volunteer of the Year
Sponsored by B&B Vending
A young volunteer that has shown a high level of commitment, particularly over the last 12 months within a sport, health or wellbeing setting.
- David Skinner (Oakhanger Project)
- Robyn Spibey (Alsager Netball Club)
- Rebecca Emeny (Nantwich Seals Swimming Club)
Winner: Rebecca Emeny
Young Sports Achiever of the Year
Sponsored by Premier Sport
Someone aged 18 and under who has made remarkable achievements within a sport or sports
- Jordan Ordidge (Taekwondo Crewe GTI)
- Chloe Esegbona (300m Hurdles, Cheshire Schools and City of Stoke Athletics Club)
- India Myles (National Gymnastics)
- Abby Warren (Great Britain Junior Rifle Squad)
- Anya Haji-Michael (Laser Radial Transition Squad)
- Ben Arkle (Satellites of Macclesfield Swimming Club)
Winner: Anya Haji-Michael
Disabled Sports Achiever of the Year
Sponsored by Taylor Made Designs
Someone who has participated at a local, regional or national level within a sport or sports
- Ellie-Mae Wolfenden (Athletics, British Transplant Games)
- Megan Short (Para-Swimming & Cerebral Palsy World Games)
- Megan Giglia (GB Paracycling team)
- Sophie Hughes (GB Rhythmic Gymnastics)
Winner: Megan Giglia
School of the Year
Sponsored by Cheshire East School Games Organisers
Nominees in this category will embed PE or health & wellbeing initiatives and programmes inside and outside of the curriculum, have a strong focus on leadership and volunteering as well as having established community links
- Congleton High school
- Marlfields Primary Academy
- Wilmslow High School
- Dean Valley Primary School
- Lindow Community Primary School
Winner: Wilmslow High School
Everybody Customer Hero
Sponsored by Thomas International
This award aims to recognise unsung heroes in Everybody who are actively promoting health, wellbeing or sport in their community or at their local facility. They will have also made remarkable personal achievements over the past year.
Winner: Olivia Cork
The Everybody Awards are organised by Everybody Sport and Recreation (www.everybody.org.uk). Everybody is a charitable trust established to run public leisure services in the Cheshire East area. The trust aims to provide ‘leisure for life’ by changing lives through healthy recreation. The charity operates 15 leisure facilities as well as leisure development and outreach programmes and the new Everybody Academy, providing local training and career opportunities.
Notes to Editors
Name – Jade Griffin
E: [email protected]
T: 01270 685945