Easter is a great time to spend with the family and we are sure this weekend you will be indulging in a Sunday roast with an Easter egg or two for dessert. It is important to indulge once in a while, so we have some very yummy treats and of course some healthy versions too, for those of you who are counting calories!
Healthy Hot Cross Buns
Sugar Cookie Easter Egg Nests
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 72 egg shaped candies (I used 2 bags of mini Cadbury chocolate eggs)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt and mix them together and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together butter, sugar and oil on medium speed. Add the egg, vanilla extract, and almond extract.
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients, and mix on low speed until a dough is formed.
- Divide the dough into 24 standard sized greased muffin tin cups. Press the dough evenly into the bottom of each muffin tin well, and top with 1 tablespoon of coconut. Spread the coconut to the edges. It will shrink a bit as it bakes.
- Bake the cookie nests for 11-13 minutes. The coconut should be starting to brown.
- Allow the cookie nests to cool almost completely (about 10 minutes) before removing to a cooling rack. I think it helps to give the cookie nests a little “twist” to loosen them before removing.
- When they are completely cooled, place three egg candies in each one
Recipe by Lovelylittlekitchen
Photo by Lovely Little Kitchen