Exercising in this heat can sometimes be a chore why not try exercises to keep you fit without the sweat:
- Water based work outs- aqua fit, aqua zumba
- Tai chi
Doing push-ups, squats, lunges and triceps dips, remember to take a 30-second break between moves to keep your heart rate down
Visit our website to view our class timetables at your local Everybody Leisure center
If the intensity isn’t as high during the hot weather- Don’t forget every bit counts
Are you a well watered exerciser?
Tips to keep you fueled and safe all summer long
- Drink plenty of water- before, during and after exercise
- Wear lose clothing- lightweight and breathable
- Change up your workouts to fit the temperatures
- Hit the woods- exercise in cool shaded areas
- Slow down your pace- remember its ok to take breaks
- Pick your time of day- evening exercises may be cooler
- Take your exercises indoors
- Why not try a mini triathlon- 20 minute run, 20 minute bike and finish off with a cooling swim in your favourite pool
- Most importantly listen to YOUR body- Heat exhaustion is different for everybody- stay safe
Why not make yourself a cooling treat to come home to:
Mint, cucumber and lime cooler
Juice of 3 limes
2 lime, thinly sliced
1/3 cucumber, thinly sliced
Fresh mint leafs
- In a large pitcher or jar mix lime juice, lime, cucumber, mint and ice.
Stir and serve in glasses topped off with lemonade.
Sweet Salmon Jacket
Ingredients per serving
1 Sweet Potato
1 Fillet of Salmon
Small handful of Kale
½ Courgette sliced
½ Carrot grated
3-4 pieces of Broccoli
3-4 diced pieces of Butternut Squash
Cut the sweet potatoes in half and rub a small amount of olive oil on the filling and place in a pre-heated oven at 200°C/180°C Fan/Gas 6 for 30 minutes. Add the salmon fillet, courgette and butternut squash when the potatoes have 20 minutes remaining. Whilst this is happening boil the kale and broccoli in a saucepan for 10 minutes. When meal is set on the plate add the grated carrot to the vegetable medley and season for extra flavour if required
Mariners Steak & Chips
Tuna Steak with either homemade potato or sweet potato chips using either olive or rapeseed oil. Finely dice broccoli and red pepper and mix into spinach or seaweed for a side. For a sauce blend tomatoes and red pepper together and season with cayenne pepper flakes.
Ingredients per serving
1 Tuna Steak
1 potato cut into chips
Small/medium portion of broccoli, cauliflower and carrot medley
Small portion of Seaweed
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Olive or Rapeseed oil
Pre-heated oven at 200°C/180°C Fan/Gas 6. Rub the soy sauce into the tuna steak and also rub the choice of oil onto your cut chips and place in the oven for 25-30 minutes. Add the vegetable medley to a saucepan and boil on a medium heat for 10 minutes. For the seaweed follow the cooking instructions as a guide as this will differ depending on the type of seaweed you are using.
For more healthy snack ideas, why not visit our other blogs.