Let’s get cooking Cheshire East! With everything that’s going on, let’s not forget to keep looking after ourselves, eating healthy and keeping as active as we can! Our health team will be sharing regular healthy recipes for you to make and enjoy, all as we ask is you don’t forget to share your food pics with us on social media Twitter and Instagram: @EBLeisure and Facebook: @EverybodySportRecreation.
A healthier version of a classic Indian takeaway dish! Packed with flavour and helping towards your 5 a day!
PREP TIME: 25 mins
COOKING TIME: 30 mins
SERVES: 4 portions
• 1 tbsp lime juice
• 1 tsp paprika
• ¼ tsp chilli powder (your choice on heat)
• Pinch of black pepper
• 4 skinless chicken breasts, chopped
• 1 ½ tbsp vegetable oil
• 1 cinnamon stick
• 3 cardamom pods, split
• 1 small green chilli
• 1 medium onion, finely chopped
• 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
• 2 ½ cm piece of ginger, finely chopped
• ½ tsp turmeric
• ½ tsp cumin
• 1 tsp ground coriander
• 1 tsp garam masala
• 500ml passata
• 150ml water
• 1 red pepper, de-seeded and chopped
• 1 medium tomato, chopped
• 85g spinach leaves
• Handful of fresh coriander (optional)
• Basmati rice/naan bread/chapattis to serve (optional)
1. Put the chicken in a medium bowl. Mix in the lime juice, paprika, chilli powder and black pepper, then leave to marinate for at least 15 mins.
2. Heat the oil in a large non-stick wok or saucepan. Add the cinnamon stick, cardamom pods and whole chilli, and stir-fry briefly just to colour and release their fragrance.
3. Stir in the onion, garlic and ginger and fry over a medium-high heat for 3-4 mins until the onion starts to turn brown. Then drop in the chicken and stir-fry for 2-3 mins or until it no longer looks raw.
4. Mix the turmeric, cumin, ground coriander and garam masala together. Add into the pan, lower the heat to medium and cook for 2 mins. Pour in the passata, water and red pepper. When starting to bubble, lower the heat and simmer for 15-20 mins or until the chicken is tender.
5. Stir in the chopped tomato, simmer for 2-3 mins, then add the spinach and turn it over in the pan to just wilt. Season with a little salt if needed.
Remove the cinnamon stick, chilli and cardamom pods before serving.
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION PER PORTION*
*All nutritional information is approximate