Let’s get cooking Cheshire East! With everything that’s going on, let’s not forget to keep looking after ourselves, staying healthy and keeping as active as we can! Our health team will be sharing regular healthy recipes for you to make and enjoy, all as we ask is you don’t forget to share your food pics with us on social media Twitter and Instagram: @EBLeisure and Facebook: @EverybodySportRecreation.
Whip up this traditional Spanish dish straight from the store-cupboard – it’s low fat too.
PREP TIME: 15 mins
COOKING TIME: 20 mins
SERVES: 4 portions
• 1 onion
• 1 red pepper
• 1 tbsp oil
• 1 – 2 cloves/s garlic
• 1 tsp turmeric
• 1 tsp paprika
• 1 chicken breast (or 4 thighs)
• 250g paella rice
• 750ml stock (1 vegetable or chicken stock cube)
• 25g frozen peas
• Squeeze of fresh lemon or lime juice
• Optional – chorizo sausage
• Optional – 100g mixed cooked seafood (E.g. prawns, mussels and squid)
1. Prepare the vegetables. Peel and chop the onion. Peel and crush the garlic. Chop and de-seed the red pepper.
2. Remove any skin from the chicken, then dice into chunks with a fresh knife on a clean chopping board.
3. Fry the onion and pepper in the oil for 5 minutes.
4. Add the garlic, turmeric, paprika and chorizo (if using) and cook for a further 2 minutes.
5. Add the diced chicken and cook until it turns white.
6. Add the rice.
7. Pour in the stock, bring to the boil and cook for 5 minutes.
8. Bring to the boil, and then allow to simmer for 15 minutes.
9. Stir in the frozen peas and seafood if using, and cook for a further 5 minutes.
10. Check the rice is cooked and season with black pepper and a squeeze of fresh lemon or lime juice.
• Turmeric is used in this recipe as saffron is expensive.
• Why not add some chopped chorizo for a Spanish feast?
• Add extra vegetables such as chopped tomatoes, chopped courgettes or sliced mushrooms.
• Serve the Paella with wedges of lemon or lime.
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION PER PORTION*
*All nutritional information is approximate