Let’s get cooking Cheshire East! With everything that’s going on, let’s not forget to keep looking after ourselves, staying healthy and keeping as active as we can! Our health team will be sharing regular healthy recipes for you to make and enjoy, all as we ask is you don’t forget to share your food pics with us on social media Twitter and Instagram: @EBLeisure and Facebook: @EverybodySportRecreation.
Thai Chicken Curry
Packed with vitamins and is high in protein and low in carbohydrates.
PREP TIME: 15 mins
COOKING TIME: 25 mins
SERVES: 4 portions
• 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
• 1 small onion or 3 – 4 shallots sliced
• 500g chicken breasts or chicken thighs diced.
• 1 Thai curry paste (see recipe)
• 400g tin of reduced fat coconut milk
• 1 reduced salt chicken stock cube
• 3 – 4 kaffir lime leaves
• 200g mange tout or thinly sliced broccoli
• 1 tsp brown sugar optional
• 1 tbsp lime juice
• 1 green chilli thinly sliced
• ½ bunch fresh Thai basil or sweet basil
• 1 lime to garnish
1. Heat the oil in a wok or large frying pan.
2. Lightly fry onion.
3. Add Thai paste and cook for 1-2mins to release flavours.
4. Add the chicken and cook until sealed.
5. Add the coconut milk, 350ml hot water, chicken stock cube and lime leaves.
6. Simmer for 10-15mins until sauce is reduced.
7. Add lime juice and brown sugar to taste.
8. Add the mange tout or broccoli and continue to cook for 3-4mins.
9. When your curry is done, always perform a taste-taste for salt and spice. Add more fish or soy sauce if not salty enough, or some fresh cut chillies if not spicy enough (OR add some dried crushed chilli). If too spicy, add more coconut milk. If too salty or sweet, add a squeeze of lime juice. If too sour for your taste, add a touch more sugar. Finish your curry by sprinkling over generous amounts of fresh basil.
10. Serve with lime wedges and boiled rice.
Thai Green Curry Paste Recipe
• 4 cloves garlic
• 2 shallots
• 5cm piece of ginger
• 1 – 2 lemongrass stalks
• 2 – 4 birds eye green chillies
• 1 tsp of ground cumin
• ½ bunch fresh coriander
• 2 tbsp fish sauce
To make the curry paste, peel and roughly chop garlic, shallots and ginger in a food processor. Trim and remove the tough outer leaves from the lemongrass. Finely chop and add to the processor. Trim and add the chillies along with the cumin and half of the coriander leaves and stalks. Process until finely chopped, add the fish sauce and mix again.
Why not Try
• Using fish or prawns. Just add in near the end with the mange tout/broccoli.
• Adding a handful of fresh washed spinach at the last minute.
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION PER PORTION* (WITHOUT RICE)
*All nutritional information is approximate