Athlete Profiles – Badminton
Talented Athletes, excelling in Badminton are training or competing at regional level or above (Regional standard of training or competing is defined by sport specific National Governing Body ( NGB ) i.e. this may be North West or North. Individuals will have to produce formal confirmation from sporting NGB.
Find out more about how they got involved in the sport, and what it takes to become a top badminton player by visiting the Badminton UK website.
Matthew’s Questions and Answers
Q: Why did you first start the sport/event you compete in?
A: I started when I was 3 because my mum and dad both played. I was on the under 11’s England squad when I was 9.
Q: What does London 2012 mean to you?
A: London 2012 would be my dream, to represent my sport in my own country would just be the best feeling anyone could ever imagine
Q: What are your sporting aspirations for the future?
A: To get into the England 2014 Commonwealth Games Squad. Medal at the 2016/2020 Olympics Medal at the 2018/2022 Commonwealths.
Matthew’s Recent Achievements
- Under 19 Doubles National Championships April 2011
- In April 2010 was taken on to the Great Britain squad. See link at BE website (GB Players)
- In July 2010 was named Player of the Month for Badminton England
- October 2010 named Young Sports Achiever for Cheshire East
- Winner of over 15 national titles